Monday, January 9, 2017

The Force

As I promised myself (and the hundreds of readers I have here 😍) I picked up where I left off in the Robbins' book, "Awaken the Giant Within."  The title of the chapter I just finished is called "The Force That Shapes Your Life." Robbins brings you back to basics, which is that pain or pleasure will be the basis upon which we make our decisions and choices - so if it feels "good" we will do it, if it doesn't  feel good, we will avoid it or not do it.  That's simplified, to say the least, but in a nutshell, that's about it. What you have to do is essentially reshape your ideas of what pain and pleasure are and look at things with an end-goal perspective. 

This is my interpretation of what I read and at this point in my journey - I feel like I get it.  Example, I want to lose my tummy and maybe a little bit off the thighs, but I like to eat and I like to drink wine. I don't want to deprive myself of anything and I don't want to watch what I eat.  I want to do what I want.  Yet, when I go to do a rigorous power yoga class on the beach and I can barely make it through without stopping or taking breaks (which I used to be able to do easily, in addition to doing other exercises within the same few hours!) and people all around me (including old ladies) are rocking it, then I feel the pain of not being able to complete the tasks, of feeling fat, uncomfortable in my own skin and to be honest - a bruised ego.  A lot of pain associated with that, but is it enough to change? 

I like a task.  I'm a "doer" so I was happy to see that at the end of the chapter, the reader has a task to complete.  You write down four actions you need to take that you've been putting off and the pain and pleasure associated with each of them.  So you write down the four actions, then you write down what pain you've associated with doing the action, what pleasure you've received from not doing the action, what's the cost of not doing the action now, and what pleasure you'll feel from actually doing the action and all of the incredible things that will happen (supposed to get you psyched and motivated to DO the thing).  

I did it.  I'm not going to give you all the info, but I will tell you my four actions:
1) Do yoga and exercise three times a week and eat healthier.
2) Save $1000 and be debt free.
3) Publish my writing.
4) Buy a house.

Prayers, well-wishes, positive vibes and support on this journey to continue to make these goals happen and the courage, strength and motivation to continue are SO appreciated and welcome!  

No comments:

Post a Comment