Saturday, January 7, 2017

Silence

As I sit here cozy beneath my blanket in my warm, quiet home I am so blissfully aware of silence. I felt so inspired that I needed to write. Outside the snow has fallen and there's the beauty of quiet and peace.  I woke up early to look out the window and see the wonder of snow all around - like a gift that came in the night, waiting there for me to unwrap. I just couldn't wait to get out there!  I stepped outside and ran around - I stopped for a moment to feel the flakes on my face and just listen.  I heard - silence.  Science tells us that snow absorbs sound and nature tells us - hush - it's time to sleep and wait for Spring.  I believe God tells us all the time to stop and listen - to find silence.  Even Jesus went off alone to pray and to seek, undoubtedly, silence.  In that silence you can hear your own thoughts, you can connect to your higher power, or you can just BE.  I've been hearing that message more and more as this year unfolds.  Just be.  Not just exist as if nothing is happening or as if you don't have things to do or plans or goals or dreams to accomplish, etc, etc, but I think the message I'm receiving is - you don't have to work so hard to be loved, to be accepted, to feel joy.  

I am sipping coffee out of a mug one of my sweet students gave me for Christmas that says - Let It Snow - and I'm feeling warm, happy and grateful.  Grateful that it's Saturday and I can enjoy my husband and our quiet space together with our cat, grateful for all my friends and family near and far away and the love we share, grateful that I am healthy, growing and strong, grateful to just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment