Thursday, March 9, 2017

Lost Voice

I've lost my voice.  No, not theoretically or figuratively (although I do believe that's happening too...I'll get there in a moment), but actually lost my voice.  I have allergies and so that can inflame the throat and cause laryngitis.  It's an interesting thing that happens when you have to speak softly. I couldn't raise my voice or project and people around me, especially my students, began to speak more softly too and some of them even whispered.  It was kind of funny, but it was also poignant.  

It made me start to think even more deeply about that.  I'm going to conduct my own little experiment over the next couple of days and blog about it.  It won't be necessarily "scientific" or "official", it will be my own personal observation.  If I speak softly, will others speak softly around me?  If I speak only positively, will others speak positively around me?  If I do nothing but complain, will others only complain around me?  I think this is something worth exploring.  On two levels I find this to be an exciting and enticing endeavor.  First, I will be getting some enjoyment and fun out of it because I've always wanted to be an investigator or detective and I've always been fascinated with sociology and psychology.  Second, it will cause me to be more mindful of what I say before I say it and be particularly mindful of how people respond to me. Third, it will be a cool way to build content for the blog :)

I've lost my figurative voice in some ways too. I'm learning how to keep that voice strong, but not so much with words (I've never been shy to being honest, open and voicing my opinions), but with actions.  I've decided that yes, there are many times to speak up and to make a case for what is needed or what you believe, etc. however, now is not that time for me.  I've decided I'd rather not talk about what I believe as much anymore, not voice my opinions as much, not talk about things that cannot be changed, rather just DO what I can and put my energy into showing what I believe. I'd rather spend my precious time on making real, lasting change.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be positive all day.  Speaking positively and not in a fake, Pollyanna way, but I'm going to genuinely look for positive things to speak on.  I realize it might be challenging at times, but I'm going to do it.  I'm going to see, is it contagious?  I'm going to keep a little notepad with me and take notes (like an undercover reporter, but maybe a little more obvious, but I'm not going to tell anyone what I'm doing).  I'll be taking notes on what I say and how others respond and where I am and who I'm with, etc.  I'm actually pretty jazzed about this!  Look for my report in the next couple of days!

In the meantime - think about your own voice, think about how you speak...are your words and actions matching?  How do others react to you?  Does something need to change?  


No comments:

Post a Comment