Sunday, February 5, 2017

Lady Gaga Inspired


I love the morning show on CBS, "Sunday Morning." It's been on television for over 20 years and I've been watching for at least 10 years. The show features stories on all kinds of interesting people, places, and things.  With it being "Super Bowl Sunday" they highlighted a football player, Malcolm Mitchell (I'm not a football fan, but my husband is so I've learned a few things about it over the years and one thing I've come to appreciate is the life stories of the players). It was a story about how he became an incredible reader - after getting to college and only being able to read on a 6th grade level - through the kindness of a group of strangers that invited him to be in their book club. A book club he still attends to this day - a group of women.  Pretty impressive. Talk about perseverance and overcoming!!

In keeping with the Superbowl Sunday theme there was also a story on Lady Gaga (she's playing the half-time show).  I was never really a fan of hers - the weird meat dresses and wigs and the big stage persona.  I mean it's art and I do appreciate theater and the arts for sure, but to me she was just another "pop star" vying for attention.  I liked some of her songs, thought they were alright for the radio, but overall, I was kinda like "whatever" about her.  Until recently, I saw her on James Cordin's Carpool Karaoke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Cfi7U4eL4  and I thought, wow, she can actually sing - the car doesn't have any auto-tune that I could see.  I mean I guess they could do it post production or whatever they do, but whatever.  The point is - I was impressed.  I looked into her new album and even my hubs (who might not admit it in public) appreciated the new song, "A Million Reasons."  It made me cry.  There aren't a lot of lyrics, but it was raw.  It was very real to me and as you might know, dear reader, I gravitate toward that deep connection.  As a good friend of mine said about me, my BS meter is very keen.  Meaning - I can sense BS from about a mile away.  My thing is life should be lived authentically and as real as it can be, otherwise, what's the point?

Back to GaGa - after watching the show, I was even more impressed hearing her talk about her personal growth and her journey as an artist and how important her family is to her.  It resonated with me.  The interviewer asked her about how this album is different from her previous albums and she said this was what she wanted to do and it was the most personal one she's done so far. She talked about how she always felt she had to keep up the persona even though it wasn't necessarily her, even when she was off-stage.  She got emotional when the interviewer asked if that's why it's more personal because she was doing what she wanted to do versus what everyone else wanted her to do.  I was like, WOW, I get that!!  I think many people "get" that - I mean at some point or another in our lives we (if we are lucky enough) wake up and say, yeah, THIS is what I want to do and what matters to me.  This is my life to live - not theirs.  That's not to say we abandon all others or shirk responsibility, but we wake up to more of who we are and decide to live more for who we are inside, than for what others tell us we should be.  

Someone said to me, oh you should be more funny in your blog, people like humor, it's too deep.  I was like, well, I am deep.  I can be funny (frankly at times I think I'm hilarious and my 2nd graders often tell me I'm funny). Who doesn't like comedy or humor of some form or another?  Yes, everyone loves to laugh, but I mean it's not necessarily what I am good at or what I feel led to write.  That's not what I want to do.

More than anything though, I was so inspired by Gaga and her ability to be true to herself despite living in a world that she now, cannot be anonymous in and where many people have expectations of who she is or have ideas and opinions about who she should be.  She said she misses people and the ability to be able to just strike up a conversation with a stranger and just talk about life, etc.  That did make me feel a little sad for her, but she also was honest about the fact that this is what she signed up for in a way, in terms of fame.  As always, I'm looking for inspiration and ideas and I'm not shocked that it came today in the form of another artist (yes, I consider myself an artist) and I have a new found respect for Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta - aka Lady Gaga.

I encourage you to ask yourself this question: What is my persona?  Where and how can I be more authentic with myself and those around me?  

Happy Sunday everyone!  Love and blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment