Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Hope for Valentine's Day


Our Honeymoon in Sandals, Ochi Beach, JA  2015


The other day I was lamenting my "Dream Board" and how nothing on that board has come to fruition yet, and I realized, ABSOLUTELY something - the most key thing - has definitely happened.  My marriage. I love my husband more now than the day I met him.  We are stronger, healthier and happier because of each other and this intentional life we are living together. We started out with a lot stacked against us - first of all, neither of us have good role models for what a healthy, functional relationship is supposed to be - so a lot of what we've figured out has been either breaking bad habits we've learned or had modeled for us and frankly, a lot of trial and error.  Perhaps more error than anything else, but either way, we've learned.  We've learned how to get through tough times - in our first six months of dating we experienced moving, job loss, financial hardship, family drama, and the death of my step-father (RIP Tom) from cancer - and what I knew after all that was - he was the one.  He stood by me and helped me through it all.  He stood by me when I was most definitely not at my best - he has seen me in every state imaginable and he still loves me.  We've learned how to communicate and to fight fair.  We've learned how to let it go and how to respect each other (even if they are on the other side of the aisle).  We've learned how to shut up (most of the time) and how to listen.  We've learned how to make it work, even when it feels hard. Neither of us are perfect and we fight and we make up and we "go hard" and what I mean by that is - we never give up.  

So to you, my love, thank you.  Thank you for being my partner, my BEST friend (for real) and the one who can make me laugh more than any other, thank you for kissing me on the first date, for holding me when I'm sad, for forgiving me when I've gone off like a crazy person, for taking care of me when I'm sick, for knowing all the things I like (and don't) and for loving all my little quirks. Thank you for lifting me up and for supporting everything I do and for being my biggest fan and defender.  Thank you for being funny, insanely smart, handsome (HOT), and truly one of a kind. Thank you for loving my family and making them your own. Thank you for always trying so hard to put me first. I'll never find another like you, nor would I want to.  You have made my dream of a healthy relationship come true.

I want to tell you all dear readers, I never thought this was possible.  I always thought I was too broken for a real love.  I thought I was "damaged goods" and that it was not possible for me to really be happy in a relationship that was functional and whole.  After so much "bad love" and many, many, MANY heart breaks...I finally am there and continue to be there and grow.  

If you're waiting or wanting or wishing or praying for these things - let me say - it really did happen for me when I least expected it and I wasn't ready for it, but with a lot of prayer, patience, growing, laughing, loving and all the other things in between of every day life - I'm so glad to say I'm HAPPILY married and there is truly HOPE on Valentine's Day for everyone like me.  Believe it.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment