Monday, April 3, 2017

Know Your Worth

We've heard this phrase a lot - especially women - know your worth.  It means - don't devalue yourself, it means don't put up with "stuff" when you shouldn't.  For me it also means - know to whom you belong and from whence you came - know you're meant for greatness, not mediocrity. Women in particular I've noticed, as a whole, in general do not know their worth.  Or they spend an awful lot of time denying their worth and not standing up for themselves.  I told a young woman the other day (half my age...good God, how did that happen??) that she needed to be an advocate for herself.  She needed to speak up because the fact is - if you don't - who will? It's true for everyone, not just women. 

I pondered this a while, why is it that women still in the 21st century, have trouble advocating for themselves and standing up for what they actually want?  Is it "society"?  Is it that we are the "more emotional" sex?  I don't know the answer really.  I'm certain there are dozens of theories out there as to why this is, but whatever the case, I notice it a lot.  Perhaps that's something to research further at another time.

I would say that in my own life, I personally have been called or talked about as a "b" (trying to keep it clean here) because I've done just that, spoke my mind and stood up for what I knew was right and what I wanted.  I also refuse to be steamrolled or spoken about in a way that is untrue and so I deal directly and I'm very honest.  I refuse to allow someone to treat me as if I'm less than desirable, less than good enough, esp. in certain aspects. For whatever my insecurities are, I know my value as a person is to be treated with dignity and respect.  I know I deserve (as does everyone) a level of common decency and thoughtfulness, particularly when I've done nothing but extend those things to you.

I told some friends the other night that, "I'm a lot of woman and sometimes that's hard to handle for the average guy."  We all laughed, but the truth is I expect a lot, but I give a lot too.  I don't want what I wouldn't be willing to do or give either.  My husband knows this and he knew going in, that I was and am a tough cookie, but I've also got a huge heart and a lot of love to give.  He also knows, as do my very close friends, that I can be easily hurt and very sensitive, that I don't sugar coat things, I don't take crap, and I can smell BS from a mile away.  I'm also someone who loves deeply and does things with passion.  Life is worth living to the fullest, not half way.

Be encouraged ladies - and men - know your worth.  Know that you deserve to live a full life and to be desired (in all areas of your life) if someone doesn't want you, then go.  You are enough.  If you're in any relationship (personal, professional, etc.) where you aren't being valued or you're being taken for granted, speak up!  If you're not getting what you want or what you deserve and you've repeatedly asked for it in a way that can be heard and understood - walk away.  I realize this is often "easier said than done", however, realize this - in the end it hurts far more to have put so much time and energy into something or someone only to know you won't be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment