Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Keep On Rocking ...



HBO aired the induction of Pearl Jam into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday.  I was in high school during their early career.  I can remember listening to cassette tapes of their music in my old 1984 Honda ... driving with the windows down, the radio UP and hair loose and flying.  I'd pick up my boyfriend or friends and we'd jam out.  I'd sit in my room and listen to the songs over and over again, dreaming of what it would be like to know an artist like Eddie Vedder (and maybe be his girlfriend) and be back on the West Coast.  I was going through all the normal teenage crap and so much more.  My life was chaotic, unstable at best, and full of trauma.  I longed for the West Coast (where I had grown up) and for a time when I wasn't so acutely aware of the pain around me and the depression slowly creeping up inside me. Listening to them speak tonight and hearing how their lives have changed and evolved along with the band and the music made me cry. 

It made me think of my own journey, the life I've lived and my art.  My life is chronicled in journal entries, poetry and stories - I don't dare seek those old things out - I cringe at even the thought of what I might find!  Eddie said in his thank you speech - I don't think we've even done half of what it takes to get here and receive this type of honor, but we are so grateful (no that's not verbatim, but it's the gist). And so it is with me too, I've only just begun and don't think I've done half of all the good and all of the amazing contributions I'm still meant to give, but I'm grateful for every day and to have made it this far.  

It inspired me to write this brief post - to tell you dear readers that I'm not done yet.  I've got more to give, more to do, more to see and more dreams to come true.  I started feeling "old" and even maybe a little sad tonight when I thought of how long ago I listened to those songs and how long ago it's been that I've been dreaming some of the same dreams that I've yet to see come to fruition.  The dream of being a published author, the dream of being a mother to my own children...the dream of being a ballerina (that last one might not be possible anymore..ha ha ha!).  However, I've not given up and I've not cashed in.  I am still full of life and perhaps, maybe, even a little wisdom.  I might even be more free today than I was back then.  God's not finished with me yet.

How about you?  

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show was truly amazing.  I'm so glad I got to see at least half of it and grateful to have seen Pearl Jam receive that incredible honor.  They ended the show with their insane cover of Neil Young's "Keep On Rocking in the Free World."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPIb2uL_wDI

I encourage you (and myself) to keep on rocking!  

No comments:

Post a Comment