Friday, May 26, 2017

Dare to Hope


It's Friday, it's a three day weekend for a lot of us, and it's nearing Summer!  I'm feeling great!  The sun finally came out after five days of rain, rain, rain. My husband and I recently celebrated our two year anniversary and I'm so excited for all the great things on the horizon. Driving home today I had a moment when I thought - what about this, what about that and I said OUT LOUD to myself - STOP! Stop doing that. Stop allowing doubt to creep in.  Stop allowing those "realistic" thoughts to take hold.  Stop saying to yourself, well you need to consider this or that and letting the negative be a possibility. 

Are negatives a possibility??  Yep.  They are.  Are they a certainty?  NO!  I recently taught my kids about probability and I had to teach them those words, impossible, probable, more likely, less likely, equally likely and certain.  Turns out - most things aren't certain.  Not really.  I mean the truth of life is - nothing is for sure.  Not even that you will wake up tomorrow.  And it turns out that there are a lot of possibilities and probabilities, but outlook makes all the difference.  Do you see all the negative possibilities of what could happen or do you see the positive?  It's like that old saying - no matter how you look at it or what you believe - you're right!  

I'll tell you a big dream killer - telling other people. I love all the people in my immediate family and my friends and some of my coworkers, but I'm telling you from experience be careful. Be careful who you share things with and who you listen to. Stay away from those people that always have something negative to say, a bad story to relate to what you're talking about, and esp. the folks who say, well you have to be realistic about these things..  Limit contact with them - even if they're people you really love - at least stay away for the time that you're trying to remain positive and optimistic. Talk to the people that will say, Oh that's wonderful!  I can't wait to share in all the joy of --- with you!  Stay with those who encourage, support and give their prayers, positive thoughts and love. Stay with those that nurture your crazy, happy optimism.  

Practice gratitude (it really does work) and count your blessings.  Write them down.  Revisit these things monthly, daily, hourly until it becomes more and more a part of your inner thoughts and eventually your outward speech.

Dare to hope.  Dare to be "un" realistic.  Dare to step out in faith and dream big!  Think of all the WONDERFUL possibilities.  Think of what is good, lovely, true and glorious! Speak positively. Dare to be crazy happy - let others think you're crazy - let them say what they will - who cares!  If the challenges come or the situations that are less than ideal or not how you envisioned them pop up - deal with it then. Better to envision all the fantastic possibilities than to wait for the doom.  Let them say, told you so or whatever "they" want to say - but don't give up on your desires.  

There's one thing I've come to know - hope never killed anyone - in fact -  for me - hope has made me stronger.  I had a hard time believing that I'd marry again, that I'd overcome my childhood abuse and traumas, that I'd ever live to see a day when I walked happily in the sunshine free from sadness, anxiety, depression, but somewhere in my heart there was a glimmer of hope.  Some days it was as distant as a faint star in the far away galaxy, but it was always there.  More and more, I'm living into this life and loving my days and I believe you can too.

Dare to hope, dear readers.  It's not as risky as you think!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment