Thursday, January 18, 2018

Be Present

I'm a firm believer that if something keeps popping up - pay attention - it's a message to YOU!  Lately, what I'm reading and listening to and even conversations I'm having are telling me - be present.  Live in the present moment because that is truly all we have.  I picked up the Carlson book today and what's the first thing I read: "Learn to Live in the Present Moment".  Had a conversation with someone this morning and she was telling me about grounding, a new skill she's learning how to practice. Grounding is the practice of being HERE and NOW and not going down the path of  what if this or that or getting wrapped up in anxiety, fear, etc.  I get it.  I'm listening.  

I love a plan.  I love being organized and ordering my day and I love to feel like I know exactly how the day is going to go.  If I don't have a plan sometimes I can feel a little lost and sometimes that makes me feel nervous and uncertain, which leads to a little bit of panic, but I've realized that this is not helping me anymore and I want it to change.  I'm starting to shift my focus to understand that it's OK to not know and it's OK to take things as they come.  It's OK to be a planner too, but for me, I think it's time to let some of that go and simply be in the moment.

In this moment, I'm writing and looking at my cat and drinking my coffee and thinking, wow, this feels good.  I didn't know exactly what the day would be and I had a moment where I almost went to a fearful place in my thoughts. Instead of going there in my head, I put my feet on the ground, I said out loud, "God order my steps today.  Everything is OK. Here and now, everything is OK."  And it is.  

One of my personal goals this year, is of course, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" and also learning to let go.  Surrendering to what is and not worrying so much about what will be or what was.  Realizing that I can make all the plans I want, but that won't necessarily prevent the hurts, pains and disappointments of this life.  Having a plan does not mean having control.  Many things in my life have not gone at all how I planned.  I NEVER planned on meeting my husband and I certainly had never planned on getting married again.  Yet, I love him more than any man I've ever known.  We have a truly happy union in which we challenge each other, grow with each other and cherish each other in a way I never knew possible.  That's a gift beyond measure.  

Dr. Carlson writes:  "To combat fear, the best strategy is to learn to bring your attention back to the present.  Mark Twain said, 'I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.'  I don't think I can say it any better.  Practice keeping your attention on the here and now.  Your efforts will pay great dividends."  


No comments:

Post a Comment