Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I belong on the island.


Just look at this photo!  First of all, as I expressed in my previous post: http://saratate3.blogspot.com/2017/07/i-look-fat.html  you know that I am not a huge fan of pictures of myself.  This picture though, I love. I'm beaming.  My body looks good, my smile, my hair and most of all I'm glowing from that Hawaii love.  The minute we stepped off the plane I felt a sense of contentment.  The views were spectacular already and it was sundown!

I belong in the islands.  The hubs says it's too expensive there, but I say, who cares?  Those views are worth it.  Who wouldn't want to wake up and go to sleep to the sound of the ocean and the wind in the palms?  Everywhere we went it was like a post card.  Every view was mind blowing.  I'm a nature person and honestly believe that I'm so much more connected to God in nature.  If you have ever read, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren - the section on "naturalist" - that's me.  Maybe it's because I grew up camping and fishing in Oregon and some of my fondest memories from early childhood were of the beaches in Jersey or Florida...who knows, but what I do know is, I belong near the sea.  Very near the sea.  And how much more near to the ocean can you be than an island??



I've told you, years ago, I was in Maui.  After talking to many natives there in Kauai, I discovered that Maui is now "blown up" and "over developed."  That's a real shame and I pray Kauai stays as small as it can and that many people don't go crazy trying to move there.  Although, I now want to move there and am thinking of how I can get back there!  The one highway they have is already pretty packed and most of the places you go to eat and shop already have mobs of people. Most places get ruined by too many people moving there.  


I think I should do a study on "island time."  A quick google search reveals that there doesn't appear to be any research on "island time" and why folks aren't really in a rush to get here or there or to be on "time" or to serve you quick or whatever. There could be something to this. Is that the draw?  The slowed nature of the place, the leisurely pace at which most things are done?  I realize I was "on vacation", but my husband was working and it appeared to be the way of life, not just for tourists. Perhaps in a life of hurry up, go go go and do do do ...it's a breath of fresh air to be in a space where people really are living at a pace that's far more manageable. People are breathing, in and out, in and out, in a more calm and meditative state.  Someone joked that they even took a day off of school/work for surfing. 

While I was there I experienced a horrible migraine, but I still went to the beach and the pool and out to eat with my husband. I spent the next day (this one lasted two days because I forgot my meds back home - awesome!)  in the room while I suffered and vomited, but I rallied to go up the coast to watch the sunset and eat fish tacos with my husband. There was so much to see and I didn't want to miss the memory.  "Life" will find you wherever you are, trust me, I was in paradise and thought, oh my gosh I've wasted it.  Truth be told, I wasn't in control of it.  I didn't waste it, I actually made the best of it. I'm glad it happened, believe it or not, because it reminded me that nothing is perfect all the time. Life really is what you make of it and how you deal with what arises.  Pictures don't show all that's behind the scenery, but the true picture has a thousand details.  

A lesson the island reminded me of: Take time out of your "busy life" for the ebb and flow of the tides. Marvel at the creation around you and PAUSE.  Ride the waves, let them flow over you if you must, emerge from them with a new found sense of peace and understanding.  IF you fall off the board, get back up and try again.  Life is beautiful.  The spirit of the island is Mahalo, which truly is, gratitude. 


                  Mahalo, Kauai for the incredible memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment